Search This Blog

This is a blog about Peggy and Bob's Great Loop adventure which began in September 2008 in Lake Superior aboard "Baby Grand," their 32' Grand Banks trawler.

Monday, October 6, 2008

Havana to Beardstown (32 mi) - Oct 5th


We departed this lovely little marina at 8am after a pumpout which is free in IL. Since it was a glorious Sunday morning, I decided to make a crustless quiche and bacon underway. Sounds easy enough but there are no stores close by to send Bob to get the extra stuff I always forget. I managed to find enough compatible ingredients while rummaging through the fridge and cubbies. I thought that was the hard part but no. I mixed everything together, set the timer and loaded the non-gimbaled oven. About 10 minutes later, the barges and powerboats started descending upon us with a lot of rock n’roll so in and out of the oven for the quiches to save breakfast, but it was well worth the effort.
We arrived at the Beardstown wall at about 12 noon and were pleased to see other Loopers had the same destination. The town has been hard hit economically but they did have a Wal-Mart 2 miles away, a Laundromat 12 blocks away and a grocery store ½ the distance. A number of us set out with lists for all of the above and had a good time sharing the load. I did not really have enough quarters for the machines and, as usual, the change machine was broken so I had to bring a lot of ½ dry clothes back to the boat to hang outside. I think it proved that I am “shanty Irish” rather than “lace curtain Irish.”
We had a delightful Looper potluck on the dock for Sunday dinner. Even though we have only known each other for 1 week, we have so much in common.
I was up at 3am with the searchlight of a barge and pusher lighting up the V-berth. We had been told earlier that a barge had taken a wrong turn and crashed into the Beardstown wall and the repair job on the wall was evident. I was in vigilant mode and had to check where the barge was. Luckily, they were clear on the other side of the channel and I could sort of go back to sleep.

Blog Archive

Baby Grand

Baby Grand