Search This Blog

This is a blog about Peggy and Bob's Great Loop adventure which began in September 2008 in Lake Superior aboard "Baby Grand," their 32' Grand Banks trawler.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Tales from the Sea 11-25-08


This has been an exciting morning for me since 4am when I awoke to the sound of “tat, tat, tat” next to my bed. I logically thought, “We had overnight rain which is still dripping off the flybridge.” I went back to sleep but my unconscious was already alerting me to the presence of something as I had dreams about Neptunian monsters. I awoke again to the same sound and went outside to check the decks and nothing could account for that sound.

I listened again and it sounded like it was coming from the closet. I got out the flashlight and started tearing the closet apart looking for some critter with eyes. Bob’s side of the closet is loaded with all sorts of power packs of techno tools and I went through the bags looking to see if one of them was on. Nothing.

Okay, I am going to have to go down to the bilge so I lifted the small floorboards up and the noise got LOUDER. There is probably a giant bilge rat down there. My plan was to blind it with a flashlight while I trapped it with a colander. Don’t worry as I’ll have time to buy a new one before I need it to drain pasta.

I started to lift the large floor boards up when I was startled from behind and almost had a heart attack. It was Bob wondering what I was doing. I explained that I was fixing to do battle with a bilge creature. He laughed hysterically and said that the sound was fish nibbling debris off our hull and keel. It must have been an Old Country Buffet spread down there as these fish were really chowin’ down.

We decided to stay up as I was already so full of adrenaline. We began to ready the boat for an early departure when we noticed that our dinghy oar was askew and a big chunk of it had been bitten off!!!! What did this????? Alligators????


Blog Archive

Baby Grand

Baby Grand