Search This Blog

This is a blog about Peggy and Bob's Great Loop adventure which began in September 2008 in Lake Superior aboard "Baby Grand," their 32' Grand Banks trawler.

Friday, March 6, 2009

Reality Does Enter the Loop 3-6-09

A casual reader of my blog might get the impression that Loopers blithely continue traveling and are impervious to bad news and bad things happening. This is not accurate—I have just not mentioned them. During this trip, reality has intervened with Loopers having to face health problems, family members going through divorce, layoffs and death, and all of us watching our savings erode in the stock market. Since we are away from our usual support system of family and friends, it has been helpful to support each other during the tough times.

Bob and I retired last September just before starting the Loop, but if I were facing the same decision this year, I am not sure what I would do. A number of you may be facing that same decision. I can tell you that doing the Loop has been one of the greatest experiences of my life and has changed me as a person.

It might seem frivolous to start out on the adventure of a lifetime when times are so uncertain. But, any adventure starts with the dream and that does not cost much money. Let your imagination soar and see where it takes you. You can then put the reigns on later. If you stop dreaming, then fear wins. Keep dreaming.

Blog Archive

Baby Grand

Baby Grand