Search This Blog

This is a blog about Peggy and Bob's Great Loop adventure which began in September 2008 in Lake Superior aboard "Baby Grand," their 32' Grand Banks trawler.

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Revisiting the Fork in the Road of Life 8-27-09


Do you ever wonder what your life would be like if you had made the other choice? I do. Maybe it’s because I have had too many rainy days lately to think about stuff. Most likely it is due to the fact that we are back in the Lake George/Lake Champlain area where Bob and I spent our early years recreating as a couple.

We travelled here as twentysomethings with our trailerable sailboat to island hop and enjoy the cool clear healing waters. It’s almost like we’re passing our young selves along the way and nodding “hi” as having a liveaboard boat was our dream even back then.

So why did we up and leave and move to Minnesota in 1976 if we were so happy? I think we are hard-wired for adventure and have a bad/good case of wanderlust. Is it because 3 or our 4 parents are immigrants and set up a pattern to move—they did so because they had to; we do it because we can.

We have had a wonderful 30+ years in Minnesota and then we up and leave for Colorado. Again our lives have been wonderful there filled with great friends and a great life, but it’s like a 30 year time bomb is counting down and we have to move on. Doing the Loop is a great segue into that and I must admit I love being in new places and trying on new experiences.

As I sit by Lake Champlain tonight watching the beautiful sunset, I realize that if I had stayed in the New York/Vermont area, I would probably be right here on these very shores enjoying this very same sunset. Life’s funny that way.

Blog Archive

Baby Grand

Baby Grand